Turkey blocks Twitter and Youtube



(Reuters) - Turkey Govt blocked access to Social media sites Twitter and YouTube on Monday after they refused a request to remove photographs of an Istanbul prosecutor held at gunpoint by far-left militants, taken hours before the prosecutor was killed in a shootout last week, officials said.

Facebook said it had complied with a Turkish court order requiring it to restrict access to some content or face a block on its service. A company spokesman said it would appeal the order.

Presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said a prosecutor had demanded the block on access to the social media sites because some media organizations had acted "as if they were spreading terrorist propaganda" in sharing the images of the hostage-taking.

"This has to do with the publishing of the prosecutor's picture. What happened in the aftermath (of the prosecutor's killing) is as grim as the incident itself," Kalin said.
Share on Google Plus

About Waheed Gul

Blogger, Independent Security Researcher
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment